To my mind this is brilliantly clear and enormously important.
It could be used for personal reflection or as a discussion-starter, using questions such as:
- What delights, shocks or annoys you in this talk?
- Do you identify most with the older or younger brother?
- What do you think of the contrasts between
- I obey therefore I am accepted versus I am accepted because of what Jesus has done therefore I obey
- I give God a righteous record and then He owes me versus God gives me a righteous record and then we live for Him
- How do you respond to the suggestion that two people can be in church, saying the same things and doing good but with two radically different motives?
- How would you express the gospel to someone who enquired?